Within the server, the so called BROADCAST gateway is available. Please keep in mind that BROADCAST is NOT the same as KNXnet/IP routing. BROADCAST means “all KNXnet/IP routers and interfaces together”. Therefore, the BROADCAST shall only be used in rare, special cases. The reason is that you are sending a telegram to a KNX group address that is assigned to BROADCAST, the server is sending a group telegram to EACH gateway. If you have 50 gateways it will send 50 telegrams – one to each router. Since KNXnet/IP routers are also forwarding telegrams between their lines (based on filtering), you will have a lot of traffic there.
Therefore, BROADCAST should only be used in rare, special cases. For example:
- if you have only 1 KNXnet/IP router or interface
- if only KNXnet/IP interfaces and no KNXnet/IP routers, line or backbone couplers are used
- if you are using KNXnet/IP routers but all routers have KNXnet/IP routing deactivated (no routing between KNX lines).
- for central commands that configured within the ETS
Article applies to the following products:
- NETx BMS Platform
- NETx Multi Protocol Server
- NETx BMS Server 2.0